Marketing is a core element of a business which helps them implement and employ strategies to attract the right customers to purchase their products and services. It starts with identifying the target market and rolling out a campaign to meet the needs of the customers.
Over the years, a lot of things have changed with how people do business, primarily because of the emergence of technology. Today, augmented reality and virtual reality are just two of the newest forms of strategies adopted by many companies to get their messages across and make it more persuasive for their target audience.
AR and VR are immensely becoming one of the hottest trends in the marketing industries because they enable companies to create innovative and creative means of reaching out to their customers and increase their engagement. AR allows a user to have a view of the real world through the digital objects inserted into a camera. It’s like taking reality, and it is adding a digital element to it. It does not take you away from the reality, but it only allows you to be more involved. On the other hand, VR is what immerses human inside a fictional or virtual space. It’s like you are entering a whole new world to make the experience more realistic.
So how are AR and VR going to be able to influence the marketing aspect of your business?
There is no doubt that both technologies have and will continue to have a tremendous impact in many industries. They can be compelling tools to change the way people and enterprises do business. Here are some ways these technologies can help your business outshine your competitors.
1. By incorporating AR and VR into your marketing strategy, product prototyping becomes more effective.
This is especially going to be helpful for manufacturing businesses because their target customers can get to have an improved overall experience when they can bring their products to life. It is like watching the real thing in front of them. This way, the decision making process can be influenced positively and therefore increases the chance of the business to make a sale.
2. The viewers are given the ability to see the ads not just directly ahead of them, but in a more detailed version.
These viewers do not only get the chance to see the ads in front of them but they can view it in a wider range, and in a three dimension interface. Therefore, they get a better view of the ads and it makes them compelled to even consider buying.
3. AR and VR technologies can be used as a medium for storytelling
When you market your business
, you are telling your audience a story. And there is no better way to share your stories than by making your customers experience it themselves. These technologies put the viewers into a deeper content because they are brought into the experience. From here, you are encouraging your customers to use their imagination because you are sharing with them a virtual familiarization about your product.
Here are best marketing examples of augmented and virtual reality:
- Ikea has used AR to allow the viewers to see how the end products will actually look like in real life especially in an actual house set up. When potential customers scan the catalog, AR gives them the chance to see the 3D version of the products. For example, if you are shopping for a home furniture like a couch or a new bed, you can already visualize how it will look like in your own house. Their goal is to be able to bridge the gap between the perception of the customers and what the products are like in reality.
- The designers and the engineers of Ford have used VR to allow customers to have the feel, and to be able to test the elements of the new car. This way, they can have a closer look at the details of the vehicle and it can positively influence their buying decision.
- A US-based movie theatre chain called AMC Cinemas have also tried augmented reality marketing that allows moviegoers to see the details of the movies simply by pointing their mobile phones at a movie poster, with the use of an app. The information includes the trailer, the cast and an option to buy tickets for that particular movie.
- Uniqlo, a popular Japanese clothing brand, also deployed augmented reality into their marketing efforts by putting up trial rooms that allow the customers to select the apparel they want to try on and gives them the option to choose from different colors so that they can make a choice that suits them best. This way, customers won’t have to bring in a ton of clothes in the fitting room and won’t have to go through the hassle of changing. It also makes the purchasing decision easier for the customers and therefore helps in increasing their sales. And because Uniqlo started the trend, it did not take long before other clothing brands followed including Adidas and Gap.
At present, both AR and VR
technologies play an important role in transforming how business is done and while more research and development are still in progress, these technologies are certainly meant to make business transformations work for the better.